To make or file a consumption entry (for imported goods going directly into the commerce of the United States without any time or use restrictions placed on them) the following documents are generally required:

  1. A bill of lading, airway bill, or carrier’s certificate (naming the consignee for customs purposes) as evidence of the consignee’s right to make entry.
  2. A commercial invoice obtained from the seller, which shows the value and description of the merchandise.
  3. Entry manifest (Customs Form 7533) or Entry/Immediate Delivery (Customs Form 3461).
  4. Packing lists, if appropriate, and other documents necessary to determine whether the merchandise may be admitted.

US Customs Publication # 0000-0052